In the Present
- CEO of Growth Science, a data science firm that uses algorithms and technology to predict business behavior.
- Partner at Ironstone Group, a venture capital firm that uses data science to find, fund and help grow disruptive businesses. Ironstone is based in San Francisco with leading Partner William R. Hambrecht.
- Partner and Chief Investment Officer at Rottura Capital, a private alternative investment fund.
- Board Member, Founder and former Executive Director of the Revenue Capital Association.
In the Past
Formerly, Thomas pioneered advanced data science methodologies to guide growth investments and innovation at Intel. He also helped found a high performance computing business that was later acquired. As a result of his data science breakthroughs, Thomas was invited to the Harvard Business School by Professor Clayton Christensen to collaborate as a resident Fellow. Globally recognized, Thomas and his early research were the subject of book The Innovator’s Manifesto: Deliberate Disruption for Transformational Growth by bestselling author Michael Raynor.
Growing up in Honduras, Bolivia, India, Nepal and Indonesia, Thomas believes good business is the key to social well-being. This has translated into a lifelong passion to change the world by making innovative growth more accessible through data science.
“ The world’s understanding of business has a bigger impact on our lives than just about anything else within our power to influence.”
Thomas is a member of the Harvard Business School Forum for Growth and Innovation. In addition to his fellowship at Harvard, Thomas holds a BA, MBA and Juris Doctor. While no longer practicing law, he’s a licensed Attorney and previously practiced corporate law.
- Will this startup succeed? Oregon Business Magazine
- New Partner at Quiet Hambrecht Fund Takes ‘Moneyball’ Approach to VC. Xconomy
- Thomas Thurston’s secret algorithms for picking VC winners. Portland Business Journal
- The quest to quantify a startup’s likelihood to succeed. itbusiness.ca
- How a data cruncher brought a VC to town. Portland Business Journal
- How Thomas Thurston helped lure Ironstone VC group to Portland. Portland Business Journal
- Oregon startups compete for billionaire’s support. KGW NEWSCHANNEL 8
- Executive Profile – Thomas Thurston. Portland Business Journal
- Thurston & Shih, Handheld Graphics Organization, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Image Components Organization, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Intel Corporation’s New Business Initiatives (A), Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, MXP Digital Media Processor, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Radio-Frequency Identification, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Vivonic, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Singh, Disrupting the Consultants; Could the Advisers use some Advice?, Thunderbird International Business Review
- Fox, Thurston & Zaheer, Revenue Capital & Disruptive Models: Venture Funding Tools for Developing Nations, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Entrepreneurship Review
- Thurston, Disrupting Venture Capital, Thunderbird International Business Review