In the Present
- CEO of Growth Science, a data science firm that predicts if businesses will survive or fail.
- Chief Investment Officer of Ironstone Group, a venture capital firm that uses data science to grow disruptive businesses. Ironstone is based in San Francisco with CEO William R. Hambrecht.
- Chief Investment Officer of Rottura Capital, a hedge fund.
- Board Member and former Executive Director of the Revenue Capital Association, Advisory Board Member of the Washington State University College of Business.
In the Past
Formerly, Thomas used data science to guide growth investments and innovation at Intel. He also helped found a high performance computing business that was later acquired. As a result of his work in data science Thomas was invited to the Harvard Business School by Professor Clayton Christensen to collaborate as a resident Fellow. Thomas and his early research were the subject of book The Innovator’s Manifesto: Deliberate Disruption for Transformational Growth by bestselling author Michael Raynor.
Growing up in Honduras, Bolivia, India, Nepal and Indonesia, Thomas believes good business can be the key to social well-being.
“The world’s understanding of business has a bigger impact on our lives than just about anything else within our power to influence“
Thomas is a member of the Harvard Business School Forum for Growth and Innovation. In addition to his fellowship at Harvard, he holds a BA, MBA and Juris Doctor. While no longer practicing law, he’s a licensed Attorney and previously practiced corporate law.
In the News
Will Your Startup Survive? Big Data Knows the Answer, icrunchdata
Why Businesses Fail: A Data Expert Explains It All, Entrepreneur
More VCs bet on algorithms to mine for deals, Reuters PE Hub
Will your project live or die? Predicting corporate infanticide, Innovation Leader
New Venture Focuses on Science of Deal, Not Art of the Deal, The New York Times
New Portland HPC Startup is ARMed and Dangerous, InsideHPC.com
Ironstone VC Fund Using Data Science to Pick Disruptive Startups, InsideHPC.com
Oregon startups compete for billionaire’s support. KGW NEWSCHANNEL 8
Executive Profile – Thomas Thurston. Portland Business Journal
How a data cruncher brought a VC to town. Portland Business Journal
Thomas Thurston’s secret algorithms for picking VC winners. Portland Business Journal
How Thomas Thurston helped lure Ironstone VC group to Portland. Portland Business Journal
- Thurston & Shih, Handheld Graphics Organization, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Image Components Organization, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Intel Corporation’s New Business Initiatives (A), Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, MXP Digital Media Processor, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Radio-Frequency Identification, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Shih, Vivonic, Harvard Business Publishing
- Thurston & Singh, Disrupting the Consultants; Could the Advisers use some Advice?, Thunderbird International Business Review
- Fox, Thurston & Zaheer, Revenue Capital & Disruptive Models: Venture Funding Tools for Developing Nations, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Entrepreneurship Review
- Thurston, Disrupting Venture Capital, Thunderbird International Business Review